Man sentenced in death of Heath Springs woman

-A A +A
By Chris Sardelli

CONWAY – A year after a Heath Springs woman was killed in a three-vehicle wreck in Horry County, a Hartsville man pleaded guilty last week to causing the crash. 

Don Leget Marsh, 59, will serve a year in prison and three more years on probation after pleading guilty to reckless homicide on June 7, according to Horry County Solicitor’s Office representatives.

The charge is related to a May 7, 2011, crash on U.S. 501 near Singleton Ridge Road in Conway during which 41-year-old DeAnna Lynn Plyler was killed, according to the S.C. Highway Patrol.

Marsh was originally sentenced to five years in prison, but a circuit court judge suspended that sentence. 

March was also given credit for six weeks of time he served in jail until he made bond last summer, though he was ordered to pay court costs, Horry County Solicitor’s Office representatives said.

The case was handled by Horry County Assistant Solicitor Heather Von Herrmann. 

According to the Highway Patrol, the chain of events leading to the multiple wrecks began at 12:40 a.m. May 7, 2011, when a truck traveling north on U.S. 501 crossed into the southbound lane and crashed into a 2001 Nissan SUV driven by Plyler. 

Plyler was killed at the scene, while her two daughters, Ashton Nottingham, 17, and Alyssa Nottingham, 15, both passengers in the SUV, were taken by ambulance to area hospitals. 

The driver of the pickup truck was also taken to an area hospital. 

After the first crash, the pickup truck also hit a 2006 Honda, though the driver of that car was not injured, according to the Highway Patrol.

At the time, family members said the impact of the crash was so hard that the dash of Plyler’s Xterra was pushed back about 2 feet and the SUV’s drive shaft was bent.

Both daughters were released last summer from Grand Strand Regional Medical Center in Myrtle Beach. 

After the accident, Marsh was taken to a hospital for treatment of his injuries from the crash. 

Marsh was released a month later and taken to the Horry County courthouse, where a judge issued a $75,000 bond on Marsh for several charges.

He was originally charged with two counts of felony driving under the influence with great bodily injury and one count of felony driving under the influence resulting in death, S.C. Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Sonny Collins said last year.

Marsh remained at the J. Reuben Long Detention Center in Conway until he made bond about six weeks later, on July 19.


Contact reporter Chris Sardelli at (803) 416-8416