.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Organizers: Red Rose Festival a big success 

    Jesef Williams
    jwilliams@thelancasternews.com
    Musical acts of various kinds and fun activities for the entire family appear to have made for a great combination at last weekend’s Red Rose Festival.
    Organizers of the third annual festival say the two-day event was a success, drawing more people than last year and giving hope for an even better time in 2013.
    The estimated attendance for Friday and Saturday was between 2,500 and 3,000, said Caroline Hasty of marketing group See Lancaster SC. The aim, though, was to draw 5,000.

  • Capital budget calls for tax hike

    Reece Murphy
    rmurphy@thelancasternews.com
    A 7.11 percent jump in overall expenditures marks this year’s Lancaster County School District’s proposed 2012-13 general fund and debt services budgets amounting to a combined total of $89.1 million.
    School offcials said this year’s proposed general fund budget reflects an increase in state funding that will allow raises for district personnel for the first time since 2010, when state budget cuts forced district cutbacks and salary freezes.

  • LARS to keep rolling for one more year

    Christopher Sardelli
    csardelli@thelancasternews.com
    A local medical transportation service will keep its wheels turning for at least one more year, thanks to a recent resolution by Lancaster County Council.

  • Rescue workers respond to two vehicle accidents

    Christopher Sardelli
    csardelli@thelancasternews.com
    Rescue workers, firefighters and law enforcement were busy Thursday, May 24, as they responded to two separate car accidents within hours of each other.
    The first accident happened at about 10:40 a.m. along Catoe Road, between Camp Creek Road and Pageland Highway, when a car drove off the road and landed in a heavily wooded area.

  • Man struck several times with gun during argument

    Christopher Sardelli
    csardelli@thelancasternews.com
    An argument over a woman resulted in the arrest of a Lancaster man for attacking another man with a gun earlier this month.
    Donald Kenneth Medlin, 59, 2016 Powell Ave., was arrested May 7, and charged with first-degree assault and battery, according to a Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

  • Logan helped save local soldier’s life

    “Short days ago; We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow; Loved and were loved, and now we lie…in fields and oceans all about the world.” (With credit and respect to the late Lt. Col John McCrae)
    Flags carefully placed along streets, freshly polished monuments and markers, neatly mown grass where the fallen now silently lie – the almost antiseptic appearance belies the horrors that brought those who sacrificed their most precious gift to their final resting place.

  • Yard of the Month: A celebration of German roots

    Sherry Archie
    For The Lancaster News
    Forty-seven years ago, Philip and Hedwig Burbach, along with their three young daughters, left their homeland of Germany behind and moved to the United States. They were following the lead of Philip’s brother, George, who settled here in 1957.

  • Teens jailed in attempted murder

    Christopher Sardelli
    csardelli@thelancasternews.com
    A tip from the community led to the arrest of two teenagers in a hit and run that injured two pedestrians last weekend.
    Joshua Neal Barton, 19, and Brett Daniel Wright, 18, both of 1174 Chase Madison Drive, were arrested Tuesday, May 22. They are each charged with attempted murder, according to a Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office press release.

  • Summer Fest now in limbo

    Jesef Williams
    jwilliams@thelancasternews.com
    The event that’s expected to bring rappers Slick Rick and Chubb Rock to Lancaster on June 9 may not happen.
    Much has changed since event promoter John Williamson told Lancaster City Council members Tuesday, May 22, that Lancaster Summer Fest would no longer be at Lancaster Memorial Stadium, as planned.

  • Buford's True Colors

    Reece Murphy
    rmurphy@thelancasternews.com
    Of all the events leading up to the American Revolution, few of them had the impact of a tragic rout known as Buford’s Massacre 232 years ago on May 29, 1780.
    This Saturday, May 26, history lovers from far and wide will converge on the Buford Massacre Battlefield Memorial site on Rocky River Road just south of Pageland Highway (S.C. 9) to commemorate the battle and honor the continental soldiers whose deaths helped shape the war effort against the British.