Two arrested on drug possesion, weapon charges

-A A +A

Police chase forces lockdown at North Elementary School

By Chris Sardelli

Though a tip to the location of an escaped inmate didn’t pan out Wednesday afternoon, Dec. 4, it still led to the arrests of two other men on unrelated weapon and drug charges. 

Reco Davene Hayden, Jr., 20, 1121 White Oak Lane, and Lamarr Vernell Moore, 23, 500 Glenwood Ave., were both arrested following a short foot chase about 2:30 p.m. in the vicinity of North Elementary School. 

Hayden was charged with trafficking crack cocaine 10 grams or more, but less than 28 grams. Moore was charged with trafficking crack cocaine, possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime, unlawful carrying of a weapon, and possession of drug paraphernalia, according to a Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office incident report. 

Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Matt Shaw said the resulting police chase, school lockdown and arrests that caught residents and a school staff off guard Wednesday all began with a supposed tip about the location of Anthony Scott Vincent, 22. 

Authorities have been searching for Vincent since Tuesday, Dec. 3, after he walked away from a county inmate street cleaning detail along Old Charles Street, which is near Lancaster Golf Course.

Shaw said the tip led a large contingent of county deputies and Lancaster Police Department officers to the Carriage Inn, 1100 N. Main St.

Several patrol cars were seen speeding down North White Street with their blue lights flashing, before turning onto Woodland Drive and then north onto U.S. 521. 

“We got a tip that our escapee might be over there, so a couple of our guys went over there, but that didn’t pan out,” Shaw said. “But when we got there, we ran across two other guys acting suspicious and then they took off running.”

According to the incident report, deputies canvassed the parking lot and noticed an open room door on the top floor of the inn.

As deputies approached the room, both Hayden and Moore ran from the room and down a walkway before almost knocking a bystander to the ground, the report said. 

The men then split up, with one running into nearby woods and the other running toward the former Kmart building. 

Deputies first caught up with Hayden and found several items in his pockets, including a knife, two cell phones and a 14.9-gram bag of crack cocaine, the report said. He was arrested and taken to the Lancaster County Detention Center. 

Several other deputies entered the woods and found Moore, who appeared to be “exhausted and slowly walking,” the report said. 

As a deputy approached him with his Taser out, Moore dropped to his knees, which is when a deputy noticed a pistol in Moore’s front pocket, the report said. The deputy yelled “gun” and put all his body weight on Moore.

“Moore pulled his hands down near the pistol,” a deputy wrote. “(The deputy) believed (Moore) was going for the pistol.”

Deputies then Tased and arrested Moore, and recovered a fully loaded .40-caliber pistol, two bags of crack cocaine, a digital scale, and $635 from his pockets, the report said. 

“Moore immediately advised officers that he swallowed a large amount of narcotics and started acting as dead weight,” the report said. “Deputies had to fully carry Moore 100 yards out of the wood line and had EMS come to the scene.”

Moore was then taken to Springs Memorial Hospital. 

As part of the response and ensuing chase, nearby North Elementary School, which is behind the old Kmart location, was placed on lockdown as a precautionary measure to secure the school, said Bryan Vaughn, Lancaster County School District’s director of safety and transportation.

“We have some school activities going on in there, so we put it on lockdown,” Vaughn said. 

Also as a precaution, school resource officers at Lancaster High School were alerted to the chase and instructed to secure the school’s perimeter, Vaughn said. 

He said the police chase was unrelated to anyone at the school.

The lockdown was lifted within minutes, school officials said. 


Contact reporter Chris Sardelli at (803) 416-8416