Three arrests made in separate burglaries

-A A +A
By Chris Sardelli

A few eagle-eyed neighbors helped deputies track down and arrest three men in two separate burglary cases early this month. 


Franciso Coleman Torres, 17, 9942 Woodville Lane, Indian Land, and Johnathan Casey Deese, 23, of Pageland, are each charged with second-degree burglary after allegedly breaking into a home in the 8300 block of Taxahaw Road on July 2.

Dennis Bernard Talford, 36, 1503 Chandler Place, is also charged with second-degree burglary for allegedly breaking into a home in the 1600 block of Summit Avenue on July 6.

According to a Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office release, deputies were able to track down Torres and Deese after getting a description of their vehicle.

The release said an alert neighbor called 911 that day after noticing a suspicious vehicle at a home. 

After responding to the scene, deputies discovered the home had been burglarized. Using the neighbor’s vehicle description, deputies found it in Chesterfield County a short time later.

The arrest of Torres and Deese led to additional charges. Deese has also been charged with four more counts of second-degree burglary for breaking into the same home June 11, June 18, June 25 and June 26, the release said.  

Investigators learned money, jewelry and a firearm were stolen during those five burglaries, though some of that property has since been recovered. 

Deese was released July 9 on a $50,000 surety bond, while Torres was released July 6 on a $10,000 bond, per detention center records. 

Separate arrest

Another neighbor’s vigilance led to Talford's arrest in a separate break-in. 

According to the release, a resident called 911 to report seeing a suspicious person walking down a road near Summit Avenue carrying a television.

Deputies responding to the area saw Talford walking down the road carrying a flat-screen TV. 

During that investigation, deputies learned that Talford forced his way inside the Summit Avenue home and stole the television, the release said. 

After Talford was charged with second-degree burglary, a background check showed he was wanted by Spartanburg County authorities and the Tifton (Ga.) Police Department on unrelated charges, the release said.   

On Wednesday evening, July 10, Talford remained jailed at the Lancaster County Detention Center on a $50,000 surety bond.

Lancaster County Sheriff Barry Faile thanked the efforts of residents in both cases. 

“This is a great example of how cooperation between the public and law enforcement can solve crime,” Faile said. “We are grateful that these citizens were paying attention and took the time to call and report the suspicious behavior.

“I encourage anyone who witnesses anything suspicious to call law enforcement immediately,” the sheriff said. “Job well done.”


 Contact reporter Chris Sardelli at (803) 416-8416