- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The 2011 Lancaster County Relay for Life is May 6-7 at the University of South Carolina at Lancaster. The annual American Cancer Society fundraiser brings teams of local volunteers together to support those diagnosed with cancer and cancer survivors.
But until then, the 68 local Relay for Life teams are working hard toward the $220,000 goal. The money is used to help fund cancer research and American Cancer Society programs.
For more information about the 2011 Relay, call (803) 283-3333 and leave a message. Here is a list of the local Relay for Life events and fundraisers scheduled in the upcoming weeks:
• MAILBOX BOWS: Barnett Family Practice Carolina Lakes is selling purple mailbox bows ($5). For details, call Amanda at (803) 431-8220.
• YARD SALE: The First ARP Church Relay for Life team will hold a yard and bake sale at 7 a.m. Saturday (rain or shine) in the church parking lot, 701 N. Main St. There will be baby clothes, high chair, furniture, printer, gas grill, television/DVD, microwave, bed linens and more. Spaces are also available for $10 or $15. For details, call (803) 285-1578.
• YARD SALE: Mount Carmel AME Zion Church Relay for Life team will hold a yard sale at 8 a.m. Saturday at 1620 Hillcrest Ave. Fill a bag with clothes for $3 or buy a hot dog and drink for $1.
• ROCK-A-THON: The Osceola United Methodist Church Relay for Life team will hold a Rock Out Cancer rock-a-thon from 1 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Sub Station II at Carolina Commons in Indian Land.
• CHINESE AUCTION: The Andrew Jackson Middle School Relay for Life team will hold a Chinese auction from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the school, 6865 Kershaw-Camden Highway, Kershaw. The cost is $5 for 25 tickets.
• YARD SALE: The Lancaster High School Relay for Life team will hold a yard sale at 7 a.m. Saturday at the school, 617 Normandy Road. The rain date is April 9.
• SONIC NIGHT: The Founders Federal Credit Union Relay for Life Team is holding Sonic night from 5 to 9 p.m. Monday at Sonic Drive In, 1501 S.C. 9 Bypass West.
• CHINESE AUCTION: The Mount Carmel AME Zion Church Relay for Life team will hold a Chinese auction at 7 p.m. Thursday at American Legion Post 31, 823 Kershaw-Camden Highway. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. The cost is $5 for 26 tickets.
• GOLF TOURNAMENT: The third annual Buddies Against Cancer (BAC) Golf Tournament, sponsored by the A.R. Rucker Middle School Relay for Life team, is1:30 p.m. April 9 at Lancaster Golf Club. Cost is $200 per team and format is four-person captain’s choice. Registration and lunch is noon. There will be cash prizes and trophies. For details, call (803) 416-8555.
• BARBECUE SALE: The Founders Federal Credit Union Relay for Life team will hold a barbecue sale from noon to 4 p.m. April 9 at Immanuel Baptist Church, 1152 Great Falls Road. The cost is $10 for a pound, $8 for a plate and $30 for Boston butts. For details, call (803) 289-5924.
• SOFTBALL TOURNAMENT: The Lancaster Women’s Club Relay for Life team will hold a softball tournament April 9 at Camp Clyburn. The entry fee is $150 per team and the winning team will receive their entry fee back. For details, e-mail email@example.com.
• YOUTH TALENT SHOW: Grace United Methodist Church, 1905 Country Club Drive (the intersection of Airport Road) will host a Relay for Life fundraiser, “Youth Got Talent,” at 6 p.m. April 9 at the church. The talent show is open to youth ages 5-18 and the entry fee is $5. Admission is $5. Hot dogs, chips and drinks will also be sold. The deadline to enter is Saturday and there will be cash prizes for the winners. For details or an entry form, call (803) 416-6366 or (803) 320-8199.
• CORN HOLE TOURNAMENT: The Lancaster Jewelers Relay for Life team is holding a corn hole tournament from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 16 in its parking lot at 1548 Great Falls Highway. There is a $5 entry fee and gift certificates ($200, $100 and $50) to Lancaster Jewelers awarded to the top three teams. There will also be kids corn hole games. For details, call (803) 289-1100.
• CAR SHOW: Homecare and Hospice of Lancaster will sponsor a car show to benefit Relay for Life from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 16 at 901 W. Meeting St. There will be face painting, a clown, door prizes, hot dog sale, yard sale, bake sale, 50/50 raffle, entertainment and the Easter bunny will be available for pictures with children. Car show entry fee is $10. For details, call (803) 235-8642.
• BOWLING TOURNAMENT: The Founders Federal Credit Union Relay for Life team will hold a bowling tournament at noon April 16 at Lancaster Bowling Center, 1352 Reece Road (off Great Falls Highway). The cost is $100 per team of four. For details, e-mail Richie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
• CHINESE AUCTION: The Gaga for Tatas Relay for Life team will hold a Chinese auction at 3 p.m. April 16 at The Hot Box, 106 Elm St. Doors open at 2 p.m. The organization is accepting donations of gift certificates, gift cards, new and gently used items for the auction. For details, call (803) 804-3837.
• SCRIPTURE MOTORCYLE RUN: Hopewell United Methodist Church, 3734 Heyward Hough Road, will hold a Scripture run to benefit Relay for Life at 10 a.m. April 16. The cost is $25 for a single rider and $40 for doubles. The price includes a T-shirt. Hamburger and hot dog plates will also be sold for $5.
• TALENT SHOW: The Beyond Divazz of the Carolinas Relay for Life team will hold a talent show from 8 to 10:30 p.m. April 23 at Lancaster High School, 617 Normandy Road. The cost is a $15 donation for a single entry and $25 for group entries. The deadline to register is April 9. For details, call (803) 762-9077.
• COMMUNITY YARD SALE: There will be a community yard sale on May 7 at Carolinas Medical Center Carolina Lakes Building, 7666 Charlotte Highway, Indian Land. Spaces are $10 each or $15 for a space and a table. For details, call (803) 431-8220.