- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The 2009 Relay For Life for Lancaster County is scheduled for 7 p.m. April 24 at Lancaster County Memorial Stadium. The annual American Cancer Society fundraiser brings teams of local volunteers together to support those diagnosed with cancer and cancer survivors.
But until then, the local 59 Relay For Life teams are working hard toward the $205,000 goal. The money is used to help fund cancer research and American Cancer Society programs.
For more information about the 2009 Relay, call event co-chair Donna Parsons at 416-8812 or 283-3333. Here is a list of the local Relay For Life events that are scheduled in the upcoming weeks:
Working at La Chalupa: 4:30-8 p.m. The staff and faculty of Discovery School will be waiting tables at La Chalupa, 775 Lancaster Bypass East, with 10 percent of all sales going to Relay For Life.
– Yard Sale: 6 a.m. to noon, Curves of Lancaster, 699 Highway 9 Bypass East. For details, e-mail email@example.com or call 283-1944.
– Yard Sale: 6 a.m. – until,1408 Springdale Road, sponsored by Springdale Baptist Church, (but yard sale isn’t at the church). For details, call Jill Deese at 283-6917.
– Yard Sale: 7 a.m. – until, Wade Memorial Presbyterian Church, 1297 Memorial Park Road, sponsored by the “Walking for Maw Maw” Relay team. Homemade quilts will be sold, along with lamps, cookbooks, pocketbooks, furniture and other items. Breakfast (coffee, juice and sausage and ham biscuits) will be available.
– Softball tournament: 8 a.m. – until, South Middle School, 1551 Billings Drive, sponsored by Palmetto Warriors. Entry fee is $150 per team and trophies will be awarded for first, second and third places. For details, call 246-2643.
– Hometown Hero Womanless Beauty Pageant: 6 p.m. at Springdale Recreation Center, 260 S. Plantation Road, sponsored by Lancaster County Safety Committee. Entry deadline is today. Admission is $5 per person. For details, call 416-9423. Gerdau Ameristeel will also be selling 50/50 tickets that night.
Bowling Tournament: Starts at 7 p.m., with practice at 6:45 p.m., Lancaster Bowling Center, 1352 Reece Road, co-sponsored by Gerdau Ameristeel and Comporium Communications. Entry fee is $20 per person (4-member teams). Trophies will be awarded for first and second place with a 50/50 9-pin, no-tap challenge for men’s and women’s divisions following the tournament. For details or to register a team, call Jerry Baker at 416-9264 or 287-7919.
Choice Day and Dress Down for Breast Cancer: Discovery School students can pay $1 to dress out of their school uniforms. However, there is a catch; they have to wear pink. Afternoon activities focus on fitness, eating healthy and science and culminate with a kick-ball game between the fifth-grade class and faculty.
Balloon Release: 2 p.m. (weather permitting), Carolina Christian Academy, 1850 Kershaw Camden Highway, co-sponsored by Fellowship Bible Church and Carolina Christian Academy. Buy a balloon (in memory of or in honor of someone who has battled cancer) for $1. Each balloon includes a laminated card attached with the person’s name on it. For details, call Janet Hartley at 285-1911.
– Yard Sale: 7 a.m. until, sponsored by Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church, 238 Fort Mill Highway, Indian Land. You can reserve a table for $10 by calling (803) 548-4922 or drop off items for the church to sale beginning at 8 a.m. April 17. You can also purchase a large purple ribbon ($10) suitable for placing on a mailbox, tree or porch column by calling (803) 548-4922.
– Yard Sale: 7 a.m. until, Richard Chandler’s Collision Center, 1575 Great Falls Highway, sponsored by Gerdau Ameristeel. For details, call Kylie Allen at 285-8444.
– Trail ride: 11 a.m., sponsored by the Kitchen Queens. The ride begins at Rich Hill Community Center. There will also be a chicken bog plate sale from noon to 6 p.m., along with door prizes, auctions, T-shirt sale and music. Cost is $20 per horse for adults and $10 per horse for children under 12.
– 50/50 Chance Drawing: Through April 24 and sponsored by First Citizens Bank. Half of the proceeds go to the winner, with the other half donated to Relay For Life. Tickets are $1 each and can be bought at either First Citizens location, 500 N. Main St., or 1262 Lancaster Bypass West.
– Mission Possible Raffle: Buy a $2 raffle ticket at any Founders Federal Credit Union location for a wide variety of prizes ranging from a golf packages at Pinetuck Golf and Lancaster Golf courses to tickets at Lowes Motor Speedway.
– Gift cards: Buy raffle tickets for a Walmart gift cards valued at $100 and $50, sponsored by Palmetto Warriors. For tickets, call Dawn Vespe at 287-3512.