Still no charges in two homicides

-A A +A
By Chris Sardelli

It’s been more than a month since Lancaster County authorities responded to two homicides within days of each other, though few developments have been released about either case. 

The two deaths, including the stabbing of an Indian Land man and the shooting of a Lancaster man during a two-day time span in February, remain as open investigations, though no charges have yet been filed or arrests made. 

Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Matt Shaw said Monday, March 24, that there was nothing to publicly report about the Feb. 16 stabbing death of 47-year-old Jimmie Adams.

Adams’ body was found about 1:32 a.m. Feb. 16, as deputies responded to a domestic disturbance at a home in the 1200 block of East Arrow Lake Court in Indian Land, according to a Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office press release. 

Deputies found Adams on the floor and discovered he had been stabbed, the release said.  

He died at the scene while being treated by Lancaster County EMS.  

Shaw commented soon after the stabbing incident and said that all involved in the case had been found and investigators were not searching for anyone else. He also said everyone involved in the incident was cooperating with deputies.

By late February, Shaw and Lancaster County Coroner Mike Morris said they were waiting on autopsy results before moving forward with the case. 

It is unknown if autopsy results have been revealed and what the official cause of death is in the case. 

“There have not been any developments and we are waiting on input from the Solicitor’s office to see what charges there will be, if any,” Shaw said. 

Barfield said Monday the case was still under review.

“I’ve still got to go through everything,” Barfield said. 

“I’ve got the case file and a bunch of interviews to listen to.” 

He hoped to have an answer in that case within a few days.

“I’m working on it now and hope to get some conclusion about that by the end of this week,” he said. 

Shooting death

Investigators also continue to look into the Feb. 18 shooting death of Ronnel Chelvis Thompson, 21, though no details have publicly emerged. 

Thompson was found shot to death outside a home in the 800 block of Meeting Street, directly across from Springs Memorial Hospital.

When asked about progress in the case, if any suspects have been identified or if officers are asking for help from the public, Lancaster Police Capt. Scott Grant gave a brief comment on Thursday afternoon, March 27. 

“There is nothing new to release concerning this incident at this time,” Grant said. 

According to a police department incident report, two officers were on patrol at 10:38 p.m. Feb. 18, in the area of West Meeting Street and Woodland Drive, when they heard several gunshots from somewhere along Meeting Street. 

When they arrived at the scene, officers noticed in the driveway a dark-colored SUV with its engine running, though it was empty and had its driver’s side door open. 

Officers found the victim on the east side of the home, but he was unresponsive and “did not appear to be breathing,” the report said.

The hospital was immediately placed on lockdown due to its proximity to the crime scene.

The report notes that officers later spoke with residents inside the home and the case was eventually handed over to the police department’s special operations division. 

Grant confirmed in late February that investigators had identified possible suspects in the case, but did not elaborate. 


Contact reporter Chris Sardelli at (803) 416-8416