Police: Teen in fatal crash caught driving stolen vehicle again

-A A +A

Police have to Taser deaf suspect to subdue him

By Jenny Hartley

A Chester County teen involved in a car crash that killed a 7-year-old boy last December has been charged with driving a stolen vehicle in Lancaster County.

Antonio Mark Celey, 17, 1 Sunset Ave., Great Falls, was charged by the Lancaster Police Department with possession of a stolen vehicle, failure to stop for blue light and resisting arrest.

According to a police department incident report, a patrol officer noticed a car turn from Pardue Street onto Arch Street about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday. The car headed to Market Street and the officer noticed it was smoking heavily from the engine compartment and exhaust area. The report said the car, a light green Mazda Millenia, was smoking so heavily that the officer could not see oncoming traffic or the car itself in front of him.

At the intersection of Arch and Market streets, the car stopped and turned left through the red light, the report said.

The officer turned on his blue lights and followed the car onto Market Street. The driver did not stop, and the officer turned on his siren. Just north of Gooch Street, the car came to an abrupt stop. The report said the car’s engine was revving, the reverse lights came on and the car accelerated.

The officer followed the car onto Gooch Street. The driver was on the wrong side of the road and almost hit another car, the report said. The driver ran a red light at South Main Street and went through the intersection to Brooklyn Avenue.

The driver made a left turn onto Springdale Road and drove onto a center divider, knocking down a street sign.

The driver turned onto Small Street and then S.C. 200, where he ran into another median and took down another sign, the report said.

The officer noted that the vehicle had sustained major front-end damage and began smoking again. The driver turned into a private driveway, where the driver got out and ran from officers.

Two officers chased the driver, Celey, and took him to the ground. Celey, who is deaf and mute, resisted officers’ attempts to handcuff him, the report said.

Officers stunned Celey with a Taser and he was handcuffed, the report said.

One patrol car received minor damage when it was apparently hit by the car Celey was driving.  The S.C. Highway Patrol responded and took a report on the crash.

Celey was charged with driving without a license and possession of a stolen vehicle in a December crash that killed 7-year-old John Jerchon Bailey Jr. on S.C. 9 in Fort Lawn.

According to Fort Lawn police, Celey lost control of the truck and the door flung open. Bailey fell from the truck and was killed.

 Contact senior reporter Jenny Hartley at jhartley@thelancasternews.com or at (803) 283-1151