Man injured in moped crash

-A A +A

Christopher Sardelli
A moped driver was flown to a Charlotte hospital Friday afternoon, Dec. 28, after crashing on the side of a Lancaster road.
Lancaster Police Chief Harlean Howard said officers responded to a one-vehicle accident at about 3:30 p.m. Friday.
She said the male driver was traveling along Hunter Street, near Central Avenue, when he wrecked his moped.
“As far as we can tell he lost control of his scooter and had an injury,” Howard said.
Contrary to initial reports, Howard said the moped was not struck by a car.
“This was not a scooter versus car at all. We believe this individual lost control of his scooter,” she said.
A large group of Lancaster firefighters, police officers and medics responded to the scene and began treating the driver for his injuries.
Members of Lancaster County Emergency Medical Services loaded the man onto a stretcher and into an ambulance, and he was later flown to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte for further treatment.
The driver’s condition is unknown and a CMC nursing administrator said he was not listed in the hospital’s database Saturday afternoon.
Officers were seen examining the man’s red moped minutes after the crash, though a cause for the crash has not been released.
Separate accident
Lancaster police officers also responded to a Christmas Day accident between a bicyclist and a car.
According to a Lancaster Police Department incident report, a 59-year-old man reported he was hit by a car while riding his bicycle along Glenwood Avenue between 5 and 6 p.m.
Officers spoke with the man who said he had just left his brother’s house along East Gay Street and had turned onto Glenwood Avenue.
As he approached the intersection of Sumter Street and Glenwood Avenue the man saw a black Chevy Blazer turn on to the road. He said the car pulled out in front of him and struck his front bicycle tire, which caused him to fall on the ground.
The man said the driver checked on him and asked if he could drive him home.
He left his bicycle at a cousin’s house and then the driver brought him home, the report said. Before dropping him off, the driver asked for the bicyclist’s phone number so he could check on him the next day, the report said.
At first the bicyclist did not want to go to the hospital, but he told officers after laying down he called for EMS. He was then taken by ambulance to Springs Memorial Hospital’s emergency room.
The man’s condition was unknown Saturday and the case remains active.

Contact reporter Chris Sardelli at (803) 416-8416