Man burned, loses everything in fire

-A A +A
By Jenny Arnold

A Lancaster man is recovering after being burned in a fire at his home Saturday.

According to a Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office incident report, Rich Hill, Pleasant Hill and Elgin volunteer fire departments were called to a fire at South Potter Road home about 6:30 p.m.

The resident, Sandy Gainey, 59, was treated at the scene by firefighters and Lancaster County Emergency Medical Services and airlifted from the Rich Hill Community Center to a burn center in Augusta, Ga., said Darren Player, deputy director of Lancaster County Fire Service and Emergency Management.

Antioch Volunteer Fire Department stood by at the community center’s landing pad.

Player said Gainey was cooking when he fell asleep. Gainey awoke to find the kitchen on fire and tried to put out the flames, Player said.

He was burned on his hands, feet and face, and inhaled smoke.

The fire quickly spread through the single-wide mobile home and a sheriff’s deputy arrived to find the home engulfed in flames.

Gainey was released from the burn center on Sunday. He lost everything in the fire and did not have insurance, Player said.

Damage was estimated at $80,000.

“He inhaled some of the fire,” Player said. “Given that he had that much of an injury, he’s blessed.”

Contact senior reporter Jenny Arnold at jhartley@thelancasternews.com or at (803) 283-1151