- Special Sections
- Public Notices
KERSHAW – New activities are planned for this year's Kershaw Spring-a-thon, including one inspired by the popular game show "Deal or No Deal."
This year's event will take place across two days, with the Miss Spring-a-thon pageant occurring May 16 at Kershaw Elementary School with the rest of the festivities happening May 17.
Walkers in the Fun Walk, slated to start at 8 a.m. May 17, will pass by the planned children's park beside the Kershaw Recreation Center.
"The chamber just wants to make sure the participants are aware of it and know what's going on there," said organizer Gail Rogora, a member of the Kershaw Chamber of Commerce. "We want them to know that hopefully that will be a family area again."
Festivities gear up downtown after the walk.
There will be arts and crafts sales and food vendors and music.
Barbecue dinners will be sold by DKBBQ. The proceeds will go to Leslie's Fund, a nonprofit group that helps uninsured adolescents who need behavioral-health counseling in southern Lancaster County.
There will be a parade on Cleveland Street at 9 a.m., followed by a musical performance from the Andrew Jackson High School band, inflatable rides, a petting zoo and a car show sponsored by the A.J. Booster Club.
Among the new attractions this year, David Kellim, president of the Kershaw Chamber of Commerce, said there will be a modified version of the popular TV game show "Deal or No Deal," where two contestants will compete for prizes from local businesses.
"I figured people would like to see what they see on TV," Kellim said.
In the Kershaw's Got Talent contest, contestants will have two minutes to show off any talent.
The Kershaw Chamber of Commerce hosts the annual Spring-a-Thon and numerous local businesses and the town of Kershaw sponsor it.
It's being advertised throughout the region.
"We all got together and thought, if we could give Kershaw one day of fun, what would we include?" Kellim said. "This is what we came up with."
Want to participate?
- Food vendors interested in selling at Spring-a-thon should call Terrance Strater at (803) 447-8762.
- Craft vendors interested in selling should call Holly Woods at (803) 475-9231.
- Anyone interested in participating in the talent show should contact Sonja Poole at (803) 475-7495 or Shelia Hinson at (803) 243-0195.
- Anyone interested in participating in the "Deal or No Deal" game should contact David Kellim at (803) 475-4933 and leave a message. Two contestants will be randomly selected.
- To enter the "Miss Spring-a-thon" pageant, stop by Expressions in Kershaw to pick up an application or call Kim Forrest at (803) 427-2566.
Contact reporter Johnathan Ryan at email@example.com (803) 416-8416