Judge denies bond in local murder case

-A A +A
By Jenny Arnold

Anthony Armour Sr. said his son, Anthony Armour Jr., moved to Lancaster from Chicago to get away from the violence there.

Armour Sr. spoke Monday during a bond hearing for Monterio Lamarcus Hood, 18. Hood is accused of killing Armour Sr.’s son, Armour Jr., 31, on Sept. 13, 2008.

“My son was shot and killed for no reason,” Armour Sr. said. “You can’t prove a point by carrying a gun. If you could feel how mad I am, he (Hood) wouldn’t be standing there.”

Armour Sr. began walking back to his seat in the courtroom, followed by his other son.

But he turned and walked back to the microphone.

“I’m not done speaking,” Armour Sr. said. “He took my son. My son had started attending church.”

After Armour Sr.’s show of emotion, 6th Circuit Public Defender Mike Lifsey asked Judge Brooks Goldsmith to be objective.

“Every case like this is emotional,” Lifsey said. “I ask that the court acts in a detached nature.”

Goldsmith denied bond for Hood, who is charged with murder and possession of a gun during the commission of a violent crime in the death of Armour Jr.

Hood is also charged with assault and battery with intent to kill, accused of wounding Demarcus Tillman in the same incident.

“This is somewhat of a convoluted case,” 6th Circuit Solicitor Doug Barfield told Goldsmith.

Barfield said Tillman, Armour and a third man were walking on Dunlap Street toward Main Street and passed by another group of men headed in the opposite direction.

Hood was also on Dunlap Street, and apparently “had difficulties” with people in the second group of men that did not include Armour Jr., Barfield said.

According to witness statements, Hood told a group of mostly women on the front porch of a nearby home to go inside the house unless they wanted to die.

Witnesses said Hood began firing shots, and authorities believe at least one person in the group of men that did not include  Armour Jr. returned fire. Tillman and  Armour Jr. took off running, but were apparently caught in the crossfire, Barfield said. Tillman was shot in the wrist, and  Armour Jr. was hit in the hand, groin and chest.

Two days later, police got a call that Hood was at a Pardue Street apartment, where he was arrested without incident. He was also charged with possession of crack cocaine, carrying a pistol and possession of a stolen pistol, Barfield said.

State Law Enforcement Division agents matched the 9 mm pistol found on Hood after his arrest with the bullet retrieved from  Armour Jr.’s chest, Barfield said.

Lifsey said Hood was acting in self defense. He said he didn’t expect a small bond, but said he deserved a bond because other murder cases on the docket are of higher priority and it could be some time before Hood’s case is tried.

Barfield said Hood had recently served time in state prison for a probation violation for an aggravated assault charge before the murder. The assault case involved a group of men beating another man with bricks and bottles, Barfield said.

Contact senior reporter Jenny Arnold at jarnold@thelancasternews.com or at (803) 283-1151