Jackets’ early surge shells Knights

-A A +A

Staff Reports
BOONETOWN – Buford got back on track, doing so in workman-like fashion Friday night at Boonetown.
The 2-2 Yellow Jackets swarmed host North Central, 35-8 with a highly productive first half.
BHS coach Mike Wells’ Jackets struck on four of five first-half possessions and didn’t have to punt until the final period in posting the impressive 27-point win.
The Jackets were coming off a 40-6 road loss to Lancaster, but this week it was BHS putting up the points.
“We played well on both sides of the football,” Wells said. “We went out there and did what you have to do on the road.
“We set the tone and took control from the start,” he said. “We knew it was big to establish some momentum and we did.”
Buford ignited for three first-period scores in taking control.
Jackets’ senior running back Jay Chambers, who ran for 100 yards in nine carries, dashed 42 yards to cap a four-snap, 78-yard drive with 8:55 to play in the opening quarter.
Some four minutes later, Buford padded its lead behind the running of senior workhorse running back Scott Catledge, who capped off the six-play, 55-yard drive, with a four-yard run. Catledge, who ran for 135 yards in 16 carries, blasted in from four yards out with 4:43 to play in the opening period.
Catledge’s 31-yard dash keyed the scoring march.
“Scott runs hard and our offensive linemen opened some running lanes for him,” Wells said. “We stressed coming out and taking control of the line of scrimmage and our backs ran hard.”
The offensive-minded Jackets, with a third different running back doing the honors, padded their lead late in the opening quarter.
Senior running back Timmy Blackmon, who netted 59 yards in four carries, sprinted 41 yards to finish off a three-play scoring drive.
Late in the first half, the Jackets drove 84 yards in 12 plays, with BHS junior quarterback C.J. Blackmon hitting Jackets’ senior tight end Marcus Brown on a nine-yard scoring pass.
Catledge’s 16-yard scamper aided the points probe. Tyler Jenkins drilled his fourth straight extra point for a 28-0 halftime lead.
Each team scored once in the second half, with Buford stretching its lead to 35-0 on Catledge’s second touchdown run, a 13-yard blast to cap a 73-yard, 11-play drive. Donnie Duncan’s 13-yard run boosted the BHS scoring march.
North Central, 0-4, avoided the shutout as Tavarus Porter’s 26-yard scoring run put the Knights on the board.
“We bounced back well tonight,” Wells said. “We tackled well and blocked well and when you do that, there’s a strong chance for success.
“I thought we protected the ball well with one turnover and we had only 25 yards in penalties. Those are always two key factors for us.”
Buford is back home Friday for the first time since its opener to face Great Falls.
The Red Devils, idle Friday after their game with Mt. Zion Christian was canceled, are 1-2 after defeating Camden Military Academy on Sept. 9.
“After three weeks away, it will be good to be home,” Wells said. “Our fans travel well and support us, and I hope we have a big turnout for our players on Friday night.
“I told them after the Lancaster game, this was a game I felt we could win, but it was about what we did at practice on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. We had a good week from our players and coaches and it showed tonight. I was proud of them,” Wells said.