Humphries sentenced for role in shooting death of David Brazzell

-A A +A
By Chris Sardelli

More than two years after her arrest, a Richburg woman was sentenced this week to a decade behind bars for her role in the armed robbery of a man shot to death inside his home.


Samantha Diane Humphries, 31, was sentenced Monday, Oct. 14, to 10 years in the S.C. Department of Corrections after pleading guilty to armed robbery in events that led to the shooting death of David Scott Brazzell on July 16, 2011, according to a press release from 6th Circuit Solicitor Doug Barfield.

Judge J. Ernest Kinard, Jr., of Camden presided over the sentencing.

Lancaster Police Department officers found Brazzell inside his home at 307 Rutledge St. after Humphries called 911 to say he had been shot, the release said.

Police noted he was suffering from gunshot wounds to his back and right arm.

Brazzell was treated at the scene and taken by ambulance to Springs Memorial Hospital. As arrangements were being made to fly him by helicopter to another hospital, he died from his injuries, the release said.

Barfield said Humphries and Brazzell knew each other, and Humphries lived around the corner from him.

Humphries initially told police that she had gone to visit Brazzell and that he let her in through the locked front door, the release said.

She told investigators that shortly after she arrived an unknown man entered through the front door, shot twice, grabbed something off the counter, and ran out of the house.

Humphries later provided investigators several written statements saying that she, along with Junior Lee Kiker, 31, and Cameron Leroy Maier, 21, had planned to rob Brazzell, the release said.

Their plan, she said, involved Humphries entering the home first, followed by Kiker and Maier, who were going to rob Brazzell.

Humphries told investigators where they could find Kiker, and he was arrested soon after, the release said.

Kiker then told investigators where they could find Brazzell’s wallet and money, which were found during a search of Humphries’ home, the release said.

Though Kiker also told investigators where he left the handgun used to shoot Brazzell, police couldn’t find the weapon, the release said.

Crime scene investigators with the S.C. Law Enforcement Division later recovered two bullet casings and one fired bullet from Brazzell’s home.

Several months later, on May 10, 2012, a man cleaning a yard at Humphries’ home told police he found a .25-caliber semiautomatic pistol under a pile of debris, Barfield said in the release.

A SLED firearms identification expert eventually connected the pistol to the bullet casings and the bullet found in Brazzell’s home, the release said.

Though Humphries had been charged with murder, first-degree burglary and armed robbery in the case, all but the armed robbery charges were dismissed in exchange for her cooperation with prosecutors, Barfield said.

Kiker was charged with murder, first-degree burglary, armed robbery and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.  He pleaded guilty to all four charges on Sept. 16, 2013, the day his trial was scheduled to begin, and received a 30-year prison sentence, the release said.

Maier is charged with conspiracy in the case, though his charge is still pending, the release said.

Barfield prosecuted the case and Humphries was represented by Deputy Public Defender William Frick.


Contact reporter Chris Sardelli at (803) 416-8416