Father, grandma charged in kidnapping

-A A +A
By Chris Sardelli

What began as a night of trick or treating ended with the arrests of a man and his mother on infant kidnapping charges Thursday, Oct. 31.


Daquavius Wade, 20, 207 Hampton Road, was arrested for kidnapping, while Tonya Ross, 41, 325 Rutledge St., was arrested on a charge of accessory to kidnapping after the fact, according to a Lancaster Police Department press release. Ross is Wade’s mother.

The two were charged with the non-custodial parent abduction of Wade’s nine-month-old son, the release said. 

Officers responded at 6:16 p.m. to the 300 block of Rutledge Street at the request of the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office to meet with deputies and the infant’s mother. 

The mother told officers that Wade, who is the biological father of her child, had forcibly taken her son without her permission and was refusing to return him, the release said. 

“(She) stated that earlier that evening, Wade had requested that she bring the child by a friend’s house so that he could see him for Trick or Treat,” said Lancaster Police Capt. Scott Grant in the release. 

After bringing her child to a Louise Street home, and while still inside her car, she and Wade began arguing. 

“Wade then removed the child from the vehicle stating ‘If my momma can’t see my baby, neither can your momma!’” Grant said in the release. “As (the woman) attempted to dial 911 on her cell phone, Wade, with the child in his arms, took the phone from her.”

The woman left the area, but returned soon after to try and get her son back. 

She told officers Wade returned her phone, but refused to return her child, the release said. That’s when she left and called 911. 

Shortly after the call, a Lancaster Police Department watch commander contacted Ross and asked for the child’s location.

“Ms. Ross stated that she knew of the child’s location but would not disclose it to law enforcement. Ms. Ross became increasingly uncooperative stating she knew her rights,” Grant said in the release. 

Officers then went to Ross’ home armed with arrest warrants for her and Wade. 

At the home, officers spoke with Ross through a locked door, though she refused to open the door or be arrested, the release said. 

After several minutes of trying to convince her to come outside, officers forced their way into the home and arrested Wade and Ross, the release said. 

The infant was found unharmed and reunited with his mother.

On Friday, Nov. 1, both Wade and Ross remained jailed at the Lancaster County Detention Center. Their bonds have been denied.