- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Lancaster County Council of the Arts annual Dark Arts Draw and adult costume contest is this Friday at the Springs House, 201 W. Gay St., Lancaster.
The costume contest has three categories: Best Dressed Man, Best Dressed Woman and Best Dressed Couple.
The event starts at 5:30 p.m., with live music provided by jazz guitarist Ken Blinko. An exhibit featuring the “dark art” of various local and regional artists will be on display, and refreshments will be served.
Photographer Ernie Rowell will be available to document your evening with a photograph. Photographs will be ready immediately for sale and portions of the proceeds benefit the programs managed by the arts council.
Six downtown Lancaster locations will be featured on the arts draw, with refreshments at each location.
Businesses on the draw are:
• Picture Perfect, 303 S. Catawba St., which will have various artists on display.
• The Edward Scott House, 200 Elm St., which will exhibit various photography artists.
• Bob Doster’s Backstreet Studio, 217 E. Gay St., which will have live music by Susan Vinson Sherlock and visual arts by James Ouzts and Bob Doster.
• The Artisans Center, 119 S. Main St., which will have various artists work on display.
• Chastain’s Studio Lofts, 107 S. Main St., which will have live music with DJ Zetti, refreshments and various artists work on exhibit.
• Dianne Mahaffee will have a booth in front of Chastain’s Studio Lofts with original “ugly” works for sale.
A drawing for prizes will be at 8:45 p.m. at Chastain’s Studio Lofts. Costume contest winners will be announced then as well.
A number of other downtown businesses will participate in the draw.
Frankly Daisy, 305 S. Catawba St., will be open and serve refreshments.
The Hot Box, 106 Elm St. will host the Elm Street Asylum. There is a $10 entry fee; a portion of the proceeds will benefit Andrew Jackson High School drama department.
The Purple Rooster, 106 E. Gay St., will be open.
The Sworn Few Motorcycle Club, 109 S. White St., will have an open house with refreshments and bikes on display.
The Sworn Few will also take collections during the draw for the programs at the arts council.
The event is free, but $20 draw tickets will be available at the arts council. Maps will also be available at the arts council the day of the event. The draw tickets must be punched at three of the six locations to be eligible for the drawing at Chastain’s Studio Lofts.
Sponsors for the draw include artists: Rodney Hammond, Linda Lucas, Bob Doster, Matt Hall, Cindy Moekyns, Dianne Mahaffee, Mechthild “Maggie” Bowers, Rob Gillette, Christina Chastain, Heather Teasley, Deborah Cole, Tiffany Copen, George Young, Joe Timmons, Frank Palazzolo, Deah Stogner, Nancy Truman, Robin Zavada and Ken Blinko.
Business sponsors are CB’s Limited, BobDoster’s Backstreet Studio, Lancaster Jewelers, The Purple Rooster, Avant Garde Center for the Arts, Hutchens Moore & Associates, the city of Lancaster, See Lancaster, BG Designs, Grinders Restaurant, Picture Perfect, The Hot Box, Chastain’s Studio Lofts and Monica Sweatt @ Salon Dimensions.
For details, call the arts council at 285-7451.