.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Definition of Obamacare success is puzzling

-A A +A

Brooks Walker

President Barack Obama was celebrating the 7 million enrollees in Obamacare the other day with a speech in the Rose Garden. Here are a few excerpts from that speech that had me scratching my head.

“This law is doing what it’s supposed to do! It’s working, it’s helping people coast to coast.

“I gotta admit I don’t get it. Why are people working so hard for people not to have health insurance? Many of the tall tales that have been told about this law have been debunked. The debate over repealing this law is over, the Affordable Care Act is here to stay,” Obama said on April 1.

Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, chair of the Democratic National Committee, was on TV and in essence said the law had no significant problems that she felt needed to be addressed.

So, for their sakes, let’s consider the ACA one more time.

This law was supposed to insure 30 million uninsured people or 10 percent of the people. The other 90 percent were insured and most had no problem except increasing premiums. Most of the 7 million they boast of signed up for the free Medicare, not an insurance policy.

They also fail to mention that 6 million policies have been canceled and these people were forced to buy the more expensive Obamacare. This also means that many of the people enrolled are not part of the original uninsured 10 percent. The Congressional Budget Office now estimates that when the dust settles we will have 40-45 million people uninsured. That’s more uninsured than before Obamacare.

The president said most of the tall tales have been debunked, but the truth is that almost none of the promises made have been kept. You can’t keep your doctor or your plan.

Premiums and deductibles are not lower for 75 percent on Obamacare, they will be higher. More people will be without coverage, the deficit will increase, more taxes are added, private sector jobs were not created, on and on. These are just a few lies the public has been told.

So, the bottom line is this: We are spending about $3 trillion or more over the next decade to insure some and take insurance and money away from others, and we will still have 40-45 million uninsured. Yet, the president says it’s working and doing what it was supposed to do? By any logical definition, this bill would be labeled a failure and we would stop it before more money is wasted, yet Democrats now say it will eventually work, even as their leaders say there are no real problems.

My question is, how can they say it’s doing what it’s supposed to? Unless, under the guise of health care, we were supposed to see tax increases and insurance companies either profit or be protected with promised bailouts. We have seen health care connected to voter registration and entitlement expansion, and select waivers for special groups. The president has jetted and golfed around the country to promote a plan which he said everyone wanted. If everyone wanted it, why must he keep selling it and make it mandatory with punishments for those who don’t sign up?

Why are there only 7 million enrollees, what about the 30 million others? Why have there been 37 delays to protect Democrats up for re-election?

Why are we spending $2.7 trillion over 10 years to set up exchanges run by the government to connect people with companies, and force them to purchase prepackaged plans that limit choices?

Why spend more than $650 million on a failed website that still fails, and $150 million on advertisements to convince people to buy insurance they don’t want?

Why 19 new taxes when the president said repeatedly that Obamacare was not a tax and yet argued it was a tax before the Supreme Court? How and why do they call this a success?

Brooks Walker is a Heath Springs resident.