- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Lancaster City Council may vote to approve or pull funding to help The Artisan’s Center in downtown Lancaster with start-up and operating costs when it meets Tuesday.
Christina Chastain, who plans to open the nonprofit community art center in downtown Lancaster, is slated to give a presentation to council at the meeting.
Council members will also vote on a resolution supporting the University of South Carolina at Lancaster, which Gov. Mark Sanford has proposed to close within two years.
Other items on the agenda include appointments to two city commissions and the replacement of a sewer line and the placement of an extra fire hydrant on Dixon Road.
Council meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in council chambers at City Hall.
Council members have now been appointed to standing committees. Mayor Joe Shaw serves as an ex officio member of all the committees.
Here’s a list of the committees:
– Finance committee – Council members John Howard (chairman) and Gonzie Mackey with Finance Director Jim Wilson
– Police department and court administration committee – Council members Kenny Hood (chairman) and Tamara Green with Police Chief Hugh White and Court Administrator Kathy Hayes
– Fire department committee – Council members Mackey (chairman) and Sara Eddins with Fire Chief Chris Nunnery
– Public works and public utilities departments committee – Council members Eddins (chairwoman) and Howard, with Public Works Director Jerry Crockett and Public Utilities Director Mack McDonald
– Building and zoning department committee – Council members Linda Blackmon-Brace (chairwoman) and Hood with Building Official Richard Bowers
– Support services committee – Council members Green (chairwoman) and Eddins with Director of Support Services Teresa Meeks
Before those appointments, Mackey was named the new mayor pro tempore.
Contact reporter Jesef Williams at email@example.com or at (803) 283-1152