- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Hail to the chipotle chile pepper! Chipotles are smoked jalapenos and are commonly found in grocery stores, either as a powder in the spice aisle or in cans with aromatic adobo sauce in the ethnic foods aisle.
Home cook Sandi Sheppard adds flavor and flair to her pork chili recipe with these tantalizing chile peppers, along with fresh jalapenos and canned chipotle-spiked white corn. Fresh cilantro sprinkled on top cools it down.
See step-by-step photos of Sandi’s recipe plus thousands more from home cooks around the country at www.justapinch.com/chiliverde.
You’ll also find a meal planner, coupons and chances to win. Enjoy, and remember, use “just a pinch.”
Chipotle Pork & Corn Chili Verde
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds pork loin end roast, trim off fat
- 3 tablespoons pork dry rub blend, divided
- 1 large sweet yellow onion
- 1 large jalapeno, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 12 ounce Belgian white ale
- 1 – 30 ounce can diced tomatoes & green chilies
- 1 – 11 ounce can chipotle white corn, drained
- 1 – 15 ounce can white kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons raw blue agave nectar
- 1 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- Cut pork into 1-inch cubes and place in medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of pork rub and mix well to coat. Heat a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add olive oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add pork and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Add onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring often for another 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, ale, tomatoes, corn, beans, chile powder, garlic powder, agave and 2⁄3 cup cilantro. Mix, cover and cook for 3 hours.
- To serve, ladle into serving bowls and garnish with remaining cilantro. Add your favorite crackers, tortilla chips or crusty bread on the side. Enjoy!
Makes about 4 quarts or approximately six 1½ cup servings.